Why shouldn’t you use stock photos on your website—after all there are many to choose from—they’re really sharp and professionally lit and frankly can look great.
I'm not against using stock photography on occasion but I see some websites using it all the time and it concerns me. Why? Well there are a number of reasons but here are a few:
1. Using a broad range of photographs from different photographers and graphic artists doesn't reinforce your brand. It's an inconsistent look.
2. You aren't showing yourself or your staff or products and are missing out on the chance to familiarize people to YOU—which is the key to your business. Because people don't buy from companies, they buy the people who own or work for those companies.They purchase the brand.
3. Stock photography can look good—but almost too good—overly polished and frankly inauthentic.
4. You have to spend way too much time online trying to find the perfect image—why not just hire it done.
5. You don’t own the stock image—you merely lease it—that’s right your competitor down the street or across town could easily choose to use the very same image you have on your website—kind of awkward—and again it’s not showing off your brand.
Having your own library of custom stock photography that shows you and your staff and product or service reinforces why you do it, and why it should matter to your potential buyers—this is powerful marketing. And much more compelling than generic stock photography.
Sound expensive? Well there is a bit of cost but in the long term it’s more affordable than you think. Contact us about business branded images and how they can change your overall business marketing. Go here to learn more.